17600 Dix Road
Melvindale, MI 48122
(313) 386-2050


The City of Melvindale operates under the Council-Mayor form of government. The Mayor, City Clerk, Treasurer/Assessor, and six council members are elected for four-year terms. The Mayor appoints, and the City Council confirms the City Attorney, City Administrator, and all other department heads. These individuals serve at the will and pleasure of the Mayor and City Council.

City Services

Melvindale residents are serviced by both a full-time Police Department and Fire Department. A full-time Department of Public Works provides street snow removal in the winter and weekly street sweeping in the summer. The Water and Sewer department is responsible for the maintenance of their associated lines. The staff at city hall provides services such as assessing and tax related questions, collection of payments, business licenses, building and zoning information, FOIA requests, garage sale permits and election and general information.

Take a look at the many services that Melvindale provides and contact each of their departments by clicking on the links below to find out more information.

Police Department

Melvindale Police Command Center

The command center is staffed by a police supervisor 24 hours a day. This is where all of the 911 calls come in as well as regular phone calls. The public has access to the command center at all times as well. When a call for service comes in it is the duty of the officer on the desk to direct the call to the appropriate personnel. Citizens are encouraged to contact the police department if they observe any suspicious activity in the City. If it is of an emergency nature call 911 otherwise call 313-429-1070

The Melvindale Police Department is made up of several divisions and specialized units.

The Melvindale Police Department has a Certified Emergency Response Team (CERT) group of trained and dedicated volunteers that assist the police department in various ways throughout the year. Some of their functions are to assist the police at Melvindale Days, the homecoming parade and other events or functions as the need arises. The CERT Members go through mandatory training before becoming a CERT Member. If interested please e-mail the Melvindale Police Department at \n policechief@melvindale.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If there is a snow emergency declared Citizens are required to move their cars off of the street. A snow emergency is declared when there is a potential for 4 or more inches of snow. Once the streets are plowed residents can park their cars back on the streets. If a car is not moved off of the street during a snow emergency it is subject to being towed.

Fire Department

Informative Fire Inspection Program

The Fire Department offers free inspections to residents to inform them of what they need to do to create a safer environment for them and their families. Residents will receive assistance in developing a home fire safety plan and escape plans. They will also receive information about smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Residents can call the Fire Department at 928-7393 to set up an appointment. This program is conducted as an informative procedure for the residents.

Blood Pressure Program

All citizens who periodically monitor their blood pressure may have their blood pressure checked at the Fire Station between 8:00 A.M. and 4:30 P.M., Monday through Saturday.

CPR Instruction Classes

CPR instruction is offered by qualified instructors within the Fire Department. For groups of ten or more, contact the Melvindale Fire Department at 928-7393 for more information. For individuals interested in CPR training, contact the Fire Department for the next available class.

Medical Loan Closet

On loan, at no charge to Melvindale residents: Crutches, Wheelchairs, Canes, and Walkers. These items are available for short-term use. Call the Fire Department at 928-7393 for more details.

Fire Safety House

The Fire Safety House is open year round and there is no cost to visit. The house is open to everyone (residents and nonresidents). Groups such as the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, seniors, birthday parties, and family functions are especially welcomed.

Fire Safety House participants will learn the effects of smoke, how to escape a fire safely, and learn general safety rules. Proper use of smoke detectors, Carbon Dioxide detectors, and fire extinguishers is also taught. After the Fire Safety House Program, a tour of the Fire Station is given.

The Melvindale Fire Department also conducts fire safety talks and helps to prepare evacuation plans for local businesses and those people associated with high rise residential and office buildings. The tour also includes an opportunity to view the department's antique fire truck, a "1925 American LaFrance".

Department of Public Works

Refuse Collection

Refuse and recycling bins MUST be placed at the curb the night before your scheduled collection day, but no earlier than 12 hours prior to pickup. Refuse containers need to be removed within 12 hours after pickup. Recycling containers are available to purchase for $10.00 at the Department of Public Works. Refuse containers cannot be larger than 32 gallons.

Refuse Collection Complaints Waste Management 800.796.9696

Yard Waste Collection Procedures

Pick up begins first full week in April through the last full week in November. All items for collection MUST be placed at the curb the night before your scheduled collection day.

Grass & Leaves
Place grass and leaves in designated 32 gallon collection containers identified with a Yard Waste sticker. DO NOT FILL IT TO THE TOP. If you cannot lift the container 2 feet off the ground, the collector cannot either. The container must not weigh more than 40 pounds.

Place yard waste container 3 FEET from your garbage or place garbage on one side of the driveway and yard waste on the other. Face the sticker toward the street when placing at the curb. Container must have lid. The container must not weight more than 40 pounds.

Place yard waste in paper compost yard waste bags available at local retailers. No sticker is needed. Paper grocery bags are NOT accepted. Yard waste will not be collected in plastic bags.

Brush, Branches & all Brush must be Bundled for Collection

Yard waste stickers can be picked up at the City Clerk's Office or the Water Department.

The Department of Public Works is available to handle your questions and problems concerning alleys, grass cutting, road repairs, sidewalks, snow removal, street lighting, and tree trimming and removal.

P: 313.429.1064

Business hours
8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday

DPW Yard
3315 Greenfield Road
Melvindale, MI 48122

P: 313.429.1080

Helpful Links

Curbside Recycling Guidelines

Recyclable Items

  • Remove lids and rinse containers.
  • Glass Jars & Bottles
  • Food and Beverage
  • Containers Only
  • Discard Lids
  • Rinse Container
  • No need to remove labels

Plastic bottles with a number 1 or 2 stamped on the bottom. For example:

  • Milk and Water Bottles
  • Detergent & Bleach Bottles
  • Pop & Liquor Bottles
  • Discard Lids
  • Rinse Container & Flatten

No need to Remove Labels

Tin and Aluminum Cans Only

  • Rinse Container
  • If Possible: remove label
  • remove bottom & flatten

If the label or bottom cannot be removed, it is still recyclable.

Non-Recyclable Items

  • Windows
  • Glassware & Dishes
  • Cookware (Pyrex, Corning)
  • Mirrors
  • Lids from any containers
  • Plastic Bags
  • Styrofoam Egg Cartons or Trays
  • Buckets / Pails
  • Any Bottle that contained Motor Oil or Antifreeze
  • Plastics 3 through 7 are not recyclable
  • Plastic Lids
  • Aluminum Foil or Trays
  • Aerosol / Spray Cans
  • Paint Cans
  • Scrap metal

Weed Mowing / Vacant Lots

The Melvindale Code of Ordinances requires that property owners in Melvindale must keep their grass or weeds cut and their property free of debris. If you do not maintain the grass/weeds on your property, the City will cut the grass and clean up the debris, and bill you for the service at the rate of $75.00 for a vacant lot and $55.00 for a lot with a house on it. If the City has to cut it a second time, the price doubles; a third time it triples, etc.

Street Cleaning

Please notice and follow the posted street cleaning signs for your street. Street cleaning is in operation from April through November. It is unlawful to place leaves into the street. The street sweeper will be unable to pick the leaves up.

Snow Removal

When a snow emergency has been declared (4 inches or more) all vehicles MUST be removed from the streets. Vehicles remaining on the roadways during a snow emergency will be ticketed, towed, or both. Snow emergency notification will be announced on a number of radio stations, and on many television news programs. Snow emergency information will also be broadcast on the City of Melvindale Cable Channel (W.O.W. Channel 10 and Comcast Channel 12).

Once a snow emergency is in effect, it will remain in effect until the street is cleared curb to curb or the Department of Public Works Director terminates the snow emergency. This means once your street is cleared on both sides, you may park on the street again.

City Clerk

The City Clerks office is the keeper of records for the entire city.

Voting Registration

Any resident of the City of Melvindale who is a citizen of the United States and 18 years of age may register to vote at the City Clerk's Office during regular business hours Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm.

You may register to vote at the City Clerks Office or at any Secretary of State Branch office. Registration is also available by mail. Please contact the City Clerk's Office for information.

Applications are available for download at the Secretary of State website .

After you register, you will receive a voter card by mail indicating your voting precinct and your state and federal district numbers.

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

The City Clerk's Office is the coordinator for all Freedom of Information Act requests. Mail the application to the City Clerks Office at 3100 Oakwood Blvd, Melvindale MI 48122, deliver it to us in person, or fax it to us at (313) 383-3993. You will be advised of the cost involved.


Animal Licenses

All dogs, 6 months of age or older, must be licensed and have a current rabies vaccination certificate. New residents must purchase licenses within 30 days of moving into the City. Current residents have until April 1st of each year to renew their license. The cost is $6.00 per year.

Business Licenses/Fee's

All businesses must renew their licenses each year. Business license applications are available at the City Clerk's Office. For more information regarding the fee's and bonds required by theo business licensing ordinances of the City of Melvindale: Fee's & Bonds information

Garage/Yard Sale Licenses

The license fee is $5.00. Not more than two licenses shall be issued to any person or location within a calendar year. No license shall be issued for a period longer than four days. To download the Application for Garage and Yard Sales, click on the link below. A license from the City Clerk's office is required for Garage Sales or Yard Sales.

Enforcement and Complaints of Ordinances

Requests and complaints regarding ordinances are submitted at the City Clerk's Office. The request/complaint will be forwarded to the proper department for resolution.

Employment Opportunities

When employment opportunities are available with the City, applications are made available at the City Clerk's Office. Available jobs will also be posted in the newspaper and at City Hall.

Miscellaneous Items

The City Clerk's Office has the following items available, and the cost associated with each.

Freon containing appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners require a $15.00 sticker obtained from the City Clerk's Office. Items without this sticker WILL NOT be picked up

Building Department


Once permits are issued, City inspectors begin the process of assisting you. Through their various inspections, inspectors insure that all work is done according to current building codes and accepted standards of workmanship. The codes address structural, fire, electrical and mechanical safety, as well as health, security, and energy conservation. Upon passing final inspection, the homeowner can feel confident that they have received quality work and a final product.

If a problem does develop, City staff can assist in requiring the contractor to make the necessary corrections. If an impasse is reached, the inspection staff can assist in filing a complaint against the contractor with the State Department of Commerce.

The Building Department staff is ready to help assist in insuring that your next project complies with the appropriate building codes, and is a job well done. Always remember, the most important step in a quality job is checking the references and past workmanship of any contractor that the homeowner selects.

Treasurer's Office

All water bills and property tax bills are paid at the Treasurer's Office.

Payment of Taxes through a Mortgage Company

Your lender may require you to pay your local property taxes monthly, along with your mortgage payment. If so, the Treasurer's Department sends your tax bill directly to the mortgage company, bank, or the servicing agent who handles your mortgage. If you pay off your mortgage, your mortgage company must notify the city that it no longer wants the bill. Once we receive notice from them, we will delete the mortgage code from your bill and you will then receive your property tax bill from us directly at your home address.

Property Tax Due Dates

The summer tax bills are mailed out the first week of July. They are payable until August 15th without penalty. After August 15th, interest at the rate of 1/2 percent per month is charged.

The winter tax bills are mailed out during the first week in December. They are payable until February 14th without penalty. After February 14th, interest at the rate of 3 percent is charged. All tax bills that remain unpaid at the end of the day on February 28th are sent to the County Treasurer as delinquent. The County adds additional penalty at that time.

Summer Property Tax Deferments

If you are age 62 years of age or older and have a household income of less than $40,000, you may defer paying your summer property taxes until February 14th. This will enable you to use your Michigan Homestead Property Tax Refund to help pay your total property tax bill. Forms for this deferral are available at the Treasurer's Department, and must be filed with the Treasurer's Department.

Assessor's Office

The purpose of the Assessors Office is to place a fair and equitable assessment on every property in the City of Melvindale.

We then calculate the capped and taxable value. This task of determining as assessment is accomplished by inspecting any new construction to the property, analyzing the market activity through verification of property sales and observing other factors which affect market value. This is an ongoing function since property assessments are adjusted annually to reflect current market conditions.

The Assessor's Office is required to appraise, for tax purposes, all real and personal property within the City. In Michigan, State law requires that all property be revalued annually based on current market conditions. The State Equalized Value (SEV) shall not exceed 50% of the market value of the property.

Statewide search for subdivision plats
The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affiars provides a search for subdivision plats in Michigan. This system provides access to digital images, with print capability, of the plats and related documents of land subdivisions in the State of Michigan's plat files. This is nice if you are looking for square footage, year built, lot size and other basic information.

Assessment Change Notice

This notice is mailed to all commercial, industrial and residential properties in the city each year around the end of February. This notice indicates the prior year and current year Assessed and Taxable Values. Your property taxes are calculated based on your taxable values. Included with this notice are the meeting dates and times of the Property Tax (March) Board of Review. Also, this notice should be saved, as the Taxable Value for the current year must be listed on your State Income Tax Return for the following year.

March Board of Review

This Board is convened during the second week of March, meeting on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. The Board of Review is a group of 3 citizens appointed by the Mayor and City Council under State law to hear taxpayer appeals. If you feel that your Assessed or Taxable Values are too high, based on your analysis of your property, you may file a protest with this Board. Meetings with the Board of Review are by appointment only. These dates are required to be published in the local newspaper (News Herald) and posted at various locations around the City.

Board of Reviews

These Boards convene to correct factual errors in Assessment Records. You may come to the Assessing Department at any time and review your record to ensure that you are being assessed properly. You may also appeal for a poverty exemption (must meet income guidelines) at the March, July or December Boards of Review.

Michigan Tax Tribunal (MTT)

The Board of Review allows the ability to challenge the assessed value on your property. After challenging the Board of Review and if you are not satisfied with their decision, you may protest further to the Michigan Tax Tribunal (MTT). You do not need an attorney to do this due to the fact that the residential Small Claims Division is set up to accommodate small taxpayers' disputes. The decision that an MTT Judge makes on your property valuation is final within the MTT jurisdiction. To protest your assessment, you must file a letter with the MTT no later than June 30th of the current year. This information is also on the Board of Review Notice that is sent to the petitioner notifying them of the Board of Review's decision.

The Michigan Homestead Exemption

When you purchase a home the title company should, at the time of closing, execute a Homestead Exemption Affidavit. This form ensures that you will be able to pay property taxes at the lower school / homestead millage rate. To qualify for the Homestead Exemption, you must own and occupy the home as your principal residence. A Homestead Exemption Affidavit is available at the Assessor's Office.

Property Transfer Affidavits

This form must be filed whenever there is a transfer of ownership of real property (home/lot), even if you are only adding or removing a spouse or child to the title. There may be a fine of $5.00 per day to a maximum of $200.00 for failure to file this form. If you close at a title company, this form should be supplied to you. The Assessor's Office can supply you with this form, if needed.

Poverty Exemptions/Hardship Cases

Low income (must meet city guidelines) residents may apply for poverty exemptions (also known as "hardships") from the Board of Review. Petitioner's need to submit a Poverty Exemption Application (available at the Assessor's Office), a valid Michigan Driver's License or a Michigan Identification card, copies of their current or previous year Federal and State Income Tax papers, and any additional documentation the petitioner feels may demonstrate their need for poverty exemption. For more information, call the Assessing Department at 429-1045.

Field Sheets

Field sheets, or property cards, are available at the Assessor's Office. These are sheets that show the outside dimensions of the home, how many square feet of living space, year built, lot size, legal description, assessed and taxable values and Property Identification Number. You may obtain a copy of your card for $1.00.

Water & Sewer

Water and Sewer Problems?

If you are experiencing water or sewer problems such as water or sewage coming out of your basement floor drain (not plugged sinks) or broken water mains and services, contact the Water and Sewer Department during regular business hours (from 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.) at 313-429-1064. After hours, call the Police Department at 313-429-1070, Press 2 for Dispatch.

Questions & Answers about your water bills

Do I need to have my water service turned on or transferred into my name?
Generally the answer is no. Bills are sent to "Resident", not to a specifically named person and residential water service is not turned off unless specifically requested. If the house has been vacated and the bill is delinquent, the water is turned off. Water is not turned on until the water bill is paid. If you find that you do not have water service after occupying the home, please contact the Water Department at 313-429-1064 to schedule an appointment to have the water service turned on.

Has the prior owner requested a final bill?
We can tell you the amount billed to the prior owner for water use, as well as whether this amount has been paid.

When should I expect my first water bill?
Residential water bills are prepared quarterly. The exact billing period will depend on the area the resident lives in. Water bills are mailed in the middle of the month, and are due near the middle of the next month. Commercial water bills are prepared monthly and are mailed in the middle of the month. Water bills are mailed on the 15th of the month for water used the previous month. Payment is due at the beginning of the following month.

What should I do if I have a question about the amount I was billed?
Contact the Water Dept. with any questions.

How to Read Your Water Meter Register Head

To obtain the current reading, simply the first four digits on the face of the meter, from left to right. There is a triangle which should not be moving at all when you are not using water. If the triangle is moving when you are not using water, then there is a leak somewhere in your system. Areas to check for leaks would be the following: toilets, sinks, bathtubs, showers, outside faucets, laundry area, and humidifiers connected to your furnace.
NOTE: Just because you cannot hear a leak, it does not mean it is not leaking.

If you are moving, you will need a final reading of your meter. Please call the Water and Sewer Department at 313 429-1064. Final readings are done on Wednesday and Friday. Please call 2-3 days ahead for an appointment for a final reading.

Parks & Recreation

The Parks & Recreation Department takes pride in offering residents a variety of recreation programs.

Melvindale Veterans Memorial Pool

3155 Oakwood Blvd.
P: 313.381.7965
Open daily 1pm-6pm, Mid June to Labor Day

A daily pass can be purchased at the pool for $2.00. Free Swim Day is on Wednesdays, sponsored by the Melvindale Police Department.

Melvindale Days Festival
This festive, family fun event has been an annual tradition in our city for over 25 years. A wide variety of carnival rides, live entertainment, tasty food and treats, the Little Miss Pageant and classic cars makes Melvindale Days an event that has something for everyone. Each year, this event concludes with an awesome fireworks display!

Youth Karate

Ages 5-12

Karate is a fun and exciting way to learn discipline, confidence, focus and fitness! Classes run on Thursday, in 8 week sessions for $40. Loose fitting clothing is suggested. At the end each session, students will have the opportunity to test for a color belt for an additional fee. Please contact the Melvindale Parks & Recreation Department for session dates and rates at (313) 429-1089.

Melvindale Dance Academy

Instructors: Deborah Madden, Kayla Kinnell and Amanda Schmitz

Dance classes for children and adults are offered by session including:
Ballet, Ballroom Dancing, Musical Theater, Hip Hop, Belly Dancing, Tap and Jazz.

The Fall/Winter session ends with a dance recital, at the Melvindale High School Auditorium. Spring and Summer sessions are also offered. Please contact the Melvindale Parks & Recreation Department for session dates and rates at (313) 429-1089.

Group Fitness Classes

Partnered with Elements of Exercise, group fitness classes are offered such as ZUMBA, Total Body Conditioning, Abs, Butts & Guts, and Yoga/Pilates Fusion. New classes are constantly evaluated and offered based on interest level. Classes run approximately 6 weeks.

For more information on group fitness classes please call (313) 429-1088

Ice Arena

The Melvindale Ice Arena has two ice rinks and hosts hockey games and tournaments on a year round basis. It also houses our Senior Center, Community Events Center, and Parks & Recreation Department

Housing Commission

Section 8 Housing at Coogan Terrace

Public Housing-Coogan Terrace

The Melvindale Housing Commission operates Coogan Terrace, a 199 unit low income senior and handicapped public housing facility. Coogan Terrace offers safe and affordable qualified low income housing those that can live independently.

Section 8

The Melvindale Housing Commission operates a Section 8 Choice Voucher program. This program was established to help low-income individuals and families acquire safe, decent, and affordable housing.
section8@melvindale.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Translation of Website

French Website Red-Roof-Inn-&-Suites-Melvindale-MI Melvindale Michigan Hotels Motels German Tourist Foreign Language Hotels Motels lodging Spanish Hotels Lodging Accommodations Chinese Hotels lodging Accommodations Budget Affordable Hotels Motels Japanese Hotels Motels Lodging Red-Roof-Inn-&-Suites-Melvindale-MI Melvindale Michigan Budget Affordable